Digital Refractometer for Sugar Analysis Throughout the Food Industry - HI96800
Hanna's new HI96800 Digital Refractometer measures Refractive Index and displays results in both temperature compensated (nD20) and non-temperature compensated (nD) formats on the dual-level LCD screen. The HI96800's intuitive layout and pinpoint accuracy ensures effortless operation and reliable readings every time. Refractive Index is measured to determine a liquid's composition and assess its concentration and density. It is used by many industries including pharmaceutical, food and environmental, as an important indicator of quality and consistency. The HI96800 also converts Refractive Index to % Brix with the push of a single button.
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
Hanna Instruments new HI96800 Digital Refractometer combines form and function into one compact unit. Featuring a 1.5 second response time, the HI96800 measures refractive index from 1.3330 to 1.5040 with temperature compensation (nD20) and from 1.3300 to 1.5080 without temperature compensation (nD). For added versatility, the refractometer also converts the refractive index to % Brix (0-85%). One-button calibration makes setup quick and easy.
The improved easy-to-read LCD screen displays temperature units (°C or °F) and measurements simultaneously. By pressing the ‘Range’ key, users can easily switch between refractive index (nD), refractive index (nD20) and % Brix readings while in measurement mode. The HI96800’s IP65 water-resistant casing and sealed sample well is built to perform under harsh conditions, making it suitable for use in the field or in the laboratory.
- 1.3300-1.5080 Refractive Index range with +/- 0.0005 accuracy
- 0-85% Brix range with +/- 0.2% accuracy
- Simple one-button calibration
- Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) and No Temperature Compensation Settings (NoTC)
The HI96800 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, the light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96800 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the accuracy of refractive index readings, so the use of temperature compensation is highly recommended for reliable results. The HI96800 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with the ICUMSA Methods Book Standard for a percent by weight sucrose solution at 20°C. These compensation algorithms vary based on the parameter being measured. The user can switch between temperature compensated (nD20), non-temperature compensated (nD) and temperature compensated % Brix readings by pressing the ‘Range’ key while in measurement mode.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
Small sample size
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
Upgraded Dual-level LCD
- The large LCD screen displays nD20, nD or % Brix and temperature readings simultaneously
Quick, accurate results
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- Conserves battery life by shutting off automatically after three minutes of inactivity
IP65 water-resistant protection
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
Stainless steel sample well
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- Automatically compensates for temperature variations
|Sugar Content Range||0.0 to 85.0% Brix; 1.3300 to 1.5080 nD; 1.3330 to 1.5040 nD₂₀|
|Sugar Content Resolution||0.1 % Brix; 0.0001 nD; 0.0001 nD₂₀|
|Sugar Content Accuracy||±0.2% Brix; ±0.0005 nD; ±0.0005 nD₂₀|
|Temperature Range||0.0 to 80.0°C (32.0 to 176.0°F)|
|Temperature Resolution||0.1°C (0.1°F)|
|Temperature Accuracy||±0.3°C (±0.5°F)|
|Automatic Shut-Off||after three minutes of non-use|
|Battery Type / Life||9V / approximately 5000 readings|
|Dimensions||192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”)|
|Weight||420 g (14.8 oz.)|
|Refractometer Light Source||yellow LED|
|Refractometer Temperature Compensation||automatic between 10 and 40°C (50 to 104°F)|
|Minimum Sample Volume||100 μL (to cover prism totally)|
|Sample Cell||stainless steel ring and flint glass prism|
|Measurement Time||approximately 1.5 seconds|
|Ordering Information||Supplied with battery and instruction manual.|