Benchtop Photometer and pH meter for Wastewater Multiparameter (with COD) - HI83314
HI83314 benchtop photometer measures 10 different key wastewater quality parameters using 20 different methods that allow for multiple ranges and variations in chemistry for specific applications. The Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) parameter is included for industrial and municipal wastewater treatment. The Phosphorous and Nitrogen parameters included are beneficial to municipal wastewater treatment customers that need to monitor their biological and chemical nutrient removal process. This photometer features an innovative optical system that uses LED's, narrow band interference filters, focusing lens and both a silicon photodetector for absorbance measurement and a reference detector to maintain a consistent light source ensures accurate and repeatable photometric readings every time.
A digital pH electrode input is provided allowing the user to measure pH by a traditional glass electrode. The digital pH electrode has a built in microchip within the probe that stores all of the calibration information. Having the calibration information stored in the probe allows for hot swapping of pH electrodes without having to recalibrate. All pH measurements are automatically compensated for temperature variations with a built in thermistor located in the tip of the sensing bulb for fast and accurate temperature measurement.
Two USB ports are provided for transferring data to a flash drive or computer and to use as a power source for the meter. For added convenience and portability the meter can also operate on an internal 3.7 VDC Lithium-polymer rechargeable battery.
The HI83314 offers an absorbance measuring mode that allows for CAL Check standards to be used to validate the performance of the system. The absorbance mode allows the user to select one of the 4 wavelengths of light (420 nm, 466 nm, 525 nm, and 610 nm) to measure and plot their own concentration versus absorbance mode. This is useful for users with their own chemical method and for education to teach the concept of absorbance by using the Beer-Lambert Law.
Features and Benefits
Backlit 128 x 64 Pixel Graphic LCD Display
- Backlit graphic display allows for easy viewing in low light conditions
- The 128 x 64 Pixel LCD allows for a simplified user interface with virtual keys and on-screen help to guide the user through use of the meter
Built-in Reaction Timer for Photometric Measurements
- The measurement is taken after the countdown timer expires.
- Countdown timer ensures that all readings are taken at the appropriate reaction intervals regardless of user for better consistency in measurements
- Hanna's exclusive CAL Check cuvettes for validation of light source and detector
- Allows for the user to plot concentration versus absorbance for a specific wavelength for use with user supplied chemistry or for teaching principles of photometry
Units of Measure
- Appropriate unit of measure along with chemical form is displayed along with reading
- Automatically convert readings to other chemical forms with the touch of a button
- Aids in preventing stray light from affecting measurements
Digital pH Electrode Input
- Measure pH and temperature with a single probe
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) to track calibration information including date, time, buffers used, offset and slope for traceability
- pH CAL Check alerts user to potential problems during the calibration process
- Space saving having a pH meter and photometer built into one meter
- Up to 1000 photometric and pH readings can be stored by simply pressing the dedicated LOG button. Logged readings are just as easily recalled by pressing the RCL button
- Sample ID and User ID information can be added to a logged reading using alphanumeric keypad
- Logged readings can be quickly and easily transferred to a flash drive using the USB-A host port or to a computer using the micro USB-B port
- Data is exported as a .CSV file for use with common spreadsheet programs
Battery Status Indicator
- Indicates the amount of battery life left
- Photometric error messages include no cap, high zero, and standard too low
- pH calibration messages include clean electrode, check buffer and check probe
Users can easily select any one of the 20 measurement methods and 4 absorbance methods via the dedicated METHOD button.
Up to 1000 measurement readings can be logged with user and sample ID and recalled for future use.
pH Measurement Mode
Selecting the pH measurement mode allows for the photometer to be used as a professional pH meter with many features including temperature compensated measurements, automatic two point calibration, and GLP.
The HI83314 is supplied with a 16 mm cuvette adapter that accepts digestion vials.
Digestion Vial Methods
Compatible with COD (EPA, ISO, and mercury free methods), Nitrogen and Phosphorous reagetns packaged in 16 mm digestion vial. Reagents are sold separately.
COD Reactor for Digestion Vials
A COD reactor is used to heat the digestion vials. The digestion vials must be heated to a specific temperature for a period time making the HI839800 an important accessory required to have a complete wastewater treatment monitoring system.
Advanced Optical System
HI83314 is designed with an innovative optical system that incorporates a beam splitter so that light can be used for absorbance readings and for a reference detector. The reference detector monitors the intensity of light and modulates when there is drift due to power fluctuation or the heating of the optical components. Each part has an important role in providing unparalleled performance from a photometer.
High Efficiency LED Light Source
An LED light source offers superior performance as compared to a tungsten lamp. LEDs have a much higher luminous efficiency, providing more light while using less power. They also produce very little heat, which could otherwise affect the optical components an electronic stability. LEDs are available in a wide array of wavelengths, whereas tungsten lamps are supposed to be white light (all wavelengths of visible light) but actually have a poor blue/violet light output.
High Quality Narrow Band Interference Filters
The narrow band interference filter not only ensure greater wavelength accuracy (± 1 nm) but are extremely efficient. The filters used allow up to 95% of the light from the LED to be transmitted as compared to other filters that are only 75% efficient. The higher efficiency allows for a brighter, stronger light source. The end result is higher measurement stability and less wavelength error.
Reference Detector for a Stable Light Source
A beam splitter is used as part of the internal reference system of the HI83314 photometer. The reference detector compensates for any drift due to power fluctuations or ambient temperature changes. Now you can rely on a stable source of light between your blank (zero) measurement and sample measurement.
Large Cuvette Size
The sample cell of the HI83314 fits a round, glass cuvette with a 25 mm path length. Along with the advanced optical components, the larger size of the cuvette greatly reduces errors in rotation from the indexing mark of the cuvettes. The relatively long path length of the sample cuvette allows the light to pass through more of the sample solution, ensuring accurate measurements even in low absorbance samples.
Focusing Lens for Greater Light Yield
Adding a focusing lens to the optical path allows for the collection of all of the light that exits the cuvette and focusing the light on the silicon photo detector. This novel approach to photometric measurements cancels the errors from imperfections and scratches present in the glass cuvette eliminating the need to index the cuvette.
|Wavelength Accuracy||±1 nm|
|Light Source||5 LEDs with 420 nm, 466 nm, 525 nm, 575 nm, and 610 nm narrow band interference filters|
|Spectral bandwidth||8 nm|
|Input Channels||1 pH electrode input and 5 photometer wavelengths|
|pH Electrode||digital pH electrode (not included)|
|Logging Type||log on demand with user name and sample ID optional input|
|Logging Memory||1000 readings|
|Connectivity||USB-A host for flash drive; micro-USB-B for power and computer connectivity|
|GLP||calibration data for connected pH electrode|
|Display||128 x 64 pixel LCD with backlight|
|Battery Type / Life||3.7 VDC Li-polymer rechargeable battery / >500 photometric measurements or 50 hours of continuous pH measurement|
|Power Supply||5 VDC USB 2.0 power adapter with USB-A to micro-USB-B cable (included)|
|Environment||0 to 50.0 oC (32 to 122.0 oF); 0 to 95% RH, non-condensing|
|Dimensions||206 x 177 x 97 mm (8.1 x 7.0 x 3.8")|
|Weight||1.0 kg (2.2 lbs.)|
|Photometer/Colorimeter Light Detector||silicon photodetector|
|Cuvette Type||round, 24.6 mm|
|Number of Methods||128 max.|
|Ordering Information||Supplied with sample cuvettes and caps (4 ea.), cloth for wiping cuvettes, USB to micro USB cable connector, power adapter and instruction manual.|